What are the changes?
The 49 Metrotown/Dunbar Loop/UBC now continues along 49th Avenue between Kerr and Tyne streets and service on 54th Avenue is discontinued.
The 26 Joyce Station/29th Avenue Station reroutes to travel on Tyne and Arlington streets, maintaining access to Champlain Heights.
If you’re travelling to Champlain Heights or connecting to SkyTrain, you can:
- Take the 26 Joyce Station/29th Avenue Station or
- Travel to the nearest 49 bus stop
Why are we implementing these changes?
These changes were part of our Transit Network Consultation in fall 2015. Based on what we heard during consultation and our evaluation of customer benefits and trade-offs, we recommended the following actions:
- Implement proposed change to the 49/26 to improve reliability and reduce travel time for majority of customers.
- Maintain transit access within Champlain Heights on Kerr Street and Tyne Street with revised route 26, providing service to Champlain Heights Community Centre, Champlain Square, including library and professional services, and Killarney Community Centre.
- Monitor ridership on routes 49 and 26, adjusting frequency as needed and as resources allow.
- Work with the City of Vancouver to maintain traffic calming measures on Arlington Street and in the surrounding neighbourhood.
- 49 Metrotown/Dunbar Loop/UBC:
- The 49 is one of the busiest and overcrowded bus in the region
- The 49 route along 54th Avenue creates longer travel times for the majority of the customers.
- Approximately 95% of passengers do not get on/off in the Champlain Heights area.
- 26 Joyce Station/29th Avenue Station:
- This will maintain transit access within Champlain Heights on Kerr Street and Tyne Street, providing service to Champlain Heights Community Centre, Champlain Square and Killarney Community Centre.
- We appreciate that this change may affect some residents, and we will be monitoring the situation through ridership analysis, TransLink customer feedback and through the feedback that City of Vancouver receives.
We are always listening and you can provide feedback through Customer Service at 604.953.3040 or feedback.translink.ca.
I ask that you share this email and information with anyone you know who may be impacted by the change.
Please also note: The 49 has a temporary detour to accommodate City of Vancouver construction along Southwest Marine Drive between Granville Street and Camosun Street until fall 2016.
Transportation Demand Management Officer, Seniors and Newcomers
For a listing of all Vancouver Translink Bus Route changes effective June 27th, click here.