The Neighbourly Together Volunteer is a trained volunteer who connects vulnerable seniors to community. Volunteers provide connections and share information through the distribution of brochures and resources within the community and amongst their peers. Additionally, volunteers will identify and refer at-risk or isolated seniors to the Neighbourly Together Coordinator, who may develop a plan of action to address the seniors’ needs if requested.
To provide community information and resources within the community.
To connect seniors with activities and services to enhance their well-being.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conduct door to door outreach in your neighborhood
- Identify vulnerable seniors who are at risk
- Identify Friendly Neighbours who are willing to connect with vulnerable seniors in their neighbourhood
- Commit to a minimum of 6 hours per month for 6 months
- Attend 12 hours of training provided by SVNH in March, 2017
- Keep accurate reports and records
- Attend required orientation sessions and additional volunteer training when appropriate
- Treat all seniors with dignity and respect
- Patient, friendly, and understanding
- Culturally Aware
- Good knowledge of seniors’ services and resources in southeast Vancouver community, or a willingness to learn
- Simple written and oral English skills
- Punjabi, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Spanish speakers needed
- First Nation Elders needed
- ASL and Deaf Seniors needed
ROLE IS SUITABLE FOR:
Successful candidates must undergo a Criminal Record Check through the South Vancouver Neighbourhood House (SVNH) at no cost. Candidates will also need to provide two references. SVNH may be able to assist those who face barriers to volunteering with transportation costs.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email at email@example.com
or call 604-324-6212 ext. 116
More information about our Neighbourly Together Program